Friday, November 27, 2009

Interview with an artist

My cousin Savanna Fulmar, is the most beautiful folk artist I have ever met. Savanna had the choice to study fine art at the University but, due to her families’ belief system and other issues, Savanna returned home.
When we were younger I was always jealous of savanna because anything we ever did having to do with any art- play doh, coloring books, paint by number, ballet, needle work, sewing, ceramics, and even cooking- she excelled past me in every way.
I conducted a small interview with her:
Shauna: Okay, so tell me how you felt when you were enrolled at school studying art.
Savanna: I didn’t feel like I was studying art, I felt like I was studying History, communications, algebra, and , Geology, with one measly art classes added in there I was not in search for education like I thought I was. I went to school to learn about how to excel in my art, I didn’t want to go learn about the history or study pointless things that mean little to me, I know how to draw a straight line, and how to shade, I can even make things look 3D. I quickly learned that folk art was the only art for me.
Shauna: What famous art work means the most to you
Savanna: My favorite art has always been stained glass windows, they always tell a story, of beauty, and color, I have always enjoyed making stained glass myself and it is one of the hardest art projects I have ever done.
Shauna: Do you regret not seeking your degree in Fine art
Savanna: I don’t plan to have a career in art, so no. I am glad that I have the talent and love for it that I do. I like being a “folk artist” it makes me feel special, like the things I create, are all me, no one taught me how to draw it, I taught myself, my work, is MY work.

No comments:

Post a Comment